UNITED STATES AIR FORCE
Headquarters Air Force Reserve
255 Richard Ray Blvd.
Bldg. 220, Room 137
Robins AFB, GA 31098-1635
BRIGADIER GENERAL DAVID S. SIBLEY
Retired Feb 9, 1999
Brigadier General David S. Sibley is assistant vice commander, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins Air Force Base, Ga. He oversees the headquarters staff and is responsible to the commander and vice commander for all matters affecting the Air Force Reserve unit program.
The general was commissioned through the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program in 1963. In early Assignments, he instructed student pilots and performed combat duty as a fighter pilot in Vietnam. He left active duty in 1973 to enter the Air Force Reserve technician program as an A-37 instructor pilot. He was the lead pilot of the Air Force Reserve close air support fighter demonstration team performing at numerous air shows throughout the country. Over the past decade, he has been an A-10 Thunderbolt II wing deputy commander for operations; the Air Force Reserve adviser to the commander in chief of U.S. Air Forces in Europe; and the director of Air Force Reserve programs and resources at the Pentagon. He was the chief of staff, Headquarters Air Force Reserve, before assuming his current assignment. As an air reserve technician, the general is a civil service employee and an Air Force reservist.
1963 Bachelor of Arts degree from Coe College, Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
1967 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1977 Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. November 1963 October 1964, student, pilot training, 3645th Student Squadron, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas.
2. November 1964 October 1967, T-37 instructor pilot 3575th Pilot Training Squadron, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
3. October 1967 September 1968, flight examiner, 3576th Pilot Training Wing, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
4. September 1968 January 1969, A-37 combat crew training, England Air Force Base, La.
5. February 1969 February 1970, A-37 combat pilot and Air Force advisor to Vietnamese air force's 524th Fighter Squadron.
6. February 1970 August 1970, T-37 instructor pilot, 3650th Pilot training Squadron, Columbus Air Force Base, Miss.
7. August 1970 June 1973, chief, T-37 standardization and evaluation section, 3650th Pilot Training Wing, Columbus Air Force Base, Miss.
8. September 1973 February 1976, air reserve technician pilot, 45th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Grissom Air Force Base, Ind.
9. February 1976 March 1979, chief of standardization and evaluation for the 434th Tactical Fighter Wing, Grissom Air Force Base, Ind.
10. March 1979 March 1981, operations officer, 45th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Grissom Air Force Base, Ind.
11. March 1981 May 1981, A-10 combat crew training, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
12. June 1981 June 1984, assistant deputy commander for operations, 434th Tactical Fighter Wing, Grissom Air Force Base, Ind.
13. June 1984 April 1986, deputy commander for operations, 442nd Tactical Fighter Wing, Richards-Gebaur Air Force Base, Mo.
14. April 1986 August 1989, statutory tour as the Air Force Reserve advisor to the commander-in-chief, U.S. Air Forces in Europe at Ramstein Air Base, West Germany.
15. August 1989 June 1990, chief, programs division, Office of Air Force reserve, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
16. June 1990 September 1992, director of programs and resources, Office of Air Force Reserve, Headquarters U.S. Air Force Washington, D.C.
17. September 1992 February 1993, chief of staff, Headquarters Air Force reserve, Robins Air Force Base, Ga.
18. February 1993 present, assistant vice commander, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins Air Force Base, Ga.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 4,600
Aircraft flown: T-33, T-37, A-37, T-38, A-10
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Distinguished Flying Cross
Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Vietnam Service Medal with three service stars
Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with silver cross
Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with palm
Republic of Vietnam Honor Medal (first class)
Member of the Air Force Reserve A-10 team at Gunsmoke 1983, worldwide
Tactical Air Command fighter gunnery competition, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
Life Member, Reserve Officers Association
Life Member, Air Force Association
Order of the Daedalians
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant Aug 23, 1963
First Lieutenant May 24, 1965
Captain May 24, 1967
Major May 10, 1977
Lieutenant Colonel Aug 23, 1984
Colonel Jun 1, 1988
Brigadier General Feb 9, 1994
(Current as of February 1999)